The 2018 U.S. Pizza Team Winter Athletic Trials were held at the Mid-America Restaurant Expo in Columbus, Ohio, yesterday.
It was a close race, with top prize for freestyle dough spinning going to Michael Reyes-Casanova from Ynot Italian by only half a point. Reyes-Casanova will now travel with the U.S. Pizza team to Italy in April to compete at the World Pizza Championships.
All scores/rankings from the U.S. Pizza Team Winter Athletic Trials are below.
1. Michael Reyes-Casanova (Ynot Italian, Virginia Beach, VA)
2. Ryan LaRose (Leones Pizza, Columbus, OH)
3. David Calderon (Mombo's Pizza)
1. Ryan LaRose 31.5"
2. Wilhelm Rodriguez 31 3/16" (Papa's Pizza/ Campioni Bar y Tapas, Puerto Rico)
3. Nate Wilson 30 7/8" (600 Downtown, Bellefontaine, OH)
1. Rick Wheeler 41.79s (Mad Mushroom, Lafayette, IN)
2. Wilhelm Rodriguez 43.44s
3. Matt Hickey 48.84s (Caliente Pizza and Draft House, Pittsburgh)
1. Tiffany Westfall 27.27s (600 Downtown, Bellefontaine, OH)
2. Michael Reyes-Casanova 29.88s
3. Matt Hickey 30.53s
For more information about the U.S. Pizza Team and how it promotes pizza through sportsmanship, visit USPizzaTeam.com.
2018 U.S. Pizza Team Sponsors: