LANHAM, Md.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–In cooperation with Cargill Meat Solution Corp.’s voluntary recall of ground beef that may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, Safeway Inc. is voluntary recalling the following Cargill ground beef products sold in its Delaware, Maryland, Washington, D.C. and Virginia Safeway stores.
The recalled products have sell-by dates of October 10, 2007 through November 2, 2007. They are packaged on black Styrofoam trays with labels that feature the product name, a picture of the product, nutrition facts and the words “Distributed by Cargill Meat Solutions Corp., Witchita, KS, 67201.
The following products are affected:
- 80% LEAN GROUND BEEF 20% FAT
- 80% LEAN GROUND BEEF 20% FAT EXTREME VALUE PACK
- 80% LEAN GROUND BEEF MARKET 20% FAT
- 80% LEAN GROUND BEEF MARKET 20% FAT EXTREME VALUE PACK
- 80% LEAN GROUND BEEF STEAKHOUSE PATTIES NO MORE THAN 20% FAT
- 80% LEAN GROUND BEEF STEAKHOUSE PTY NMT 20% FAT SEASONED
- 90% LEAN GROUND BEEF 10% FAT
- 90% LEAN GROUND BEEF NOT MORE THAN 10% FAT EXTREME VALUE PACK
- 93% LEAN GROUND BEEF 7% FAT
- 93% LEAN GROUND BEEF 7% FAT EXTREME VALUE PACK
- LEAN GROUND BEEF FOR CHILI 80% LEAN CASE READY
- MEAT LOAF BEEF/VEAL/PORK CASE READY
- 85% LEAN GROUND BEEF PATTIES 15% FAT
- 96% EXTRA LEAN GROUND BEEF NOT MORE THAN 4% FAT CASE READY
While the affected Cargill products are no longer in stores, we ask customers to discard these products or return them to their local store for a full refund. Customers who have questions about the recall can contact Safeway at 1-800-SAFEWAY or Cargill Meat Solutions Corp. at 877-455-1034. Safeway reminds consumers that ground beef should be cooked to a temperature of 160 degrees and until juices run clear. Color of beef is not a reliable indicator; rather a meat thermometer should be used.