Less than a month before the presidential election, UNO Pizzeria & Grill said it’s celebrating democracy during National Pizza Month by “brazenly buying customers’ votes” in a recipe contest.
Right up to Election Day, UNO is allowing its customers to determine the pizza recipe they want on the next UNO menu. While frowned upon in a typical democratic election, UNO said it will buy fans’ votes with pizza. Every person who casts a vote for a recipe will receive a free pizza with their next purchase of a pizza of equal or greater value.
Among the more interesting candidates on the ballot is a deep-dish pie with a crust stuffed with macaroni and cheese and two other cheeses.
Polls opened on October 6 and will close on November 3. Unlike some other elections, a winner is guaranteed to be determined by the morning of November 4, and the new pizza will be inaugurated on the UNO menu in January. Unlike the presidency, there is currently no set limit for how long the winning pizza will stay on the menu.
Worthy of uninterrupted debate, the candidates on the ballot are:
- Cheese & Hot Oil Thin Crust: A three-cheese and tomato pizza kicked up a notch with a drizzle of red pepper and garlic olive oil
- Mac & Cheese Deep Dish: UNO’s deep-dish crust filled with mac and cheese, mozzarella and cheddar.
- Bianco Love Thin Crust: A white pizza with ricotta, aged cheddar, mozzarella, Romano, extra-virgin olive oil and seasoned garlic.
- Rattlesnake Deep Dish: Inspired by UNO’s famous rattlesnake pasta featuring spicy Asiago cream sauce, chicken breast, a blend of cheeses, jalapeno slices and a drizzle of buffalo sauce.
- Bruschetta-Roni Thin Crust: Provolone, pepperoni and seasoned diced tomatoes with a drizzle of seasoned extra-virgin olive oil and fresh basil.
- Spinach, Goat Cheese & Caramelized Onions Deep Dish: Fresh spinach, caramelized onions and creamy goat cheese with housemade pizza sauce, freshly shredded mozzarella, aged cheddar and Romano.