- 1 qt. rendered duck fat
- 1 lb. Idaho Russian Banana Fingerling potatoes
- 1/4 c. whole garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 each bay leaves
- 1/2 oz. fresh thyme sprigs
- 4 each lavash bread (8 x 11 )
- 3/4 lb. herb cheese (such as rondele )
- 3/4 lb. yellow onions, peeled, julienned
- 1 oz. olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, as needed
- 1 c. Fontina cheese, shredded
- 1/4 c. fresh rosemary, chopped
- Place rendered duck fat into a large heavy bottomed pot. Heat over medium heat to 350 F. Add the garlic, bay leaf and thyme to the pot.
- Add the potatoes and cover with a lid leaving the pot partially covered. Lower heat to 200 F.
- Cook 2 hours, stirring gently every so often. Remove from heat. Let the potatoes cool in the fat, drain fat from potatoes, reserve.
- Slice potatoes into 1/4 slices, refrigerate until needed. Heat a large heavy skillet over medium high heat. Add 4 ounces reserved duck fat, then add the julienned onions, season with salt and pepper, saute stirring frequently until lightly browned.
- Lower the heat on the onions and cook very slowly, stirring often until very soft and caramelized (approximately 45 minutes). Remove and cool. Refrigerate until needed.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Brush the lavash lightly on both sides with the olive oil. Place directly on oven rack and toast until light brown.
- Heat the herb cheese in a heavy bottomed pot until melted.
- Place each crust on a clean work surface. Lightly spread approximately 2 tablespoons of the melted herb cheese on each crust. Top each crust with 4 ounces of the sliced potatoes, then sprinkle with salt, pepper and fresh rosemary. Then top each crust with 1/4 cup of caramelized onions and fontina cheese.
- Bake the pizzas directly on the oven rack at 400 F, until golden brown – approximately 10 -12 minutes. Cut each pizza into 8 squares. Serve.