yield: 16-20 servings
3.5 lbs. Ground beef
3.5 lbs.Ground pork
1/2 c. Celery, minced
1/2 c.Sweet red pepper, minced
2.5 c. Rye bread, diced
4 ea. whole eggs
5.5 oz. V-8 Juice
1 T. salt
1.5 T. TABASCO brand Garlic Pepper Sauce
3 ea.Onion, medium, whole
Tomato Chipotle SauceIngredients:
3 c. Tomato juice
1 T. Spanish paprika
1 T. TABASCO brand Chipotle Pepper Sauce
2 T. Cornstarch
1 c. Beef broth
Saffron Curry Cream SauceIngredients:
1.5 pts. Heavy whipping cream
1 tsp. curry powder
4 lbs.Carrots, peeled, diced
2 c. water
Green onions, curly as needed
1. To prepare the Meatballs, combine ground beef, ground pork, celery, red peppers, rye bread, eggs, V-8 juice, salt and TABASCO Garlic Pepper Sauce. Mix thoroughly by hand or machine until well blended. Keep mixture cold until ready for use.
2. Cut onion in half against the grain. Trim ends and peel away outside skin. Push center of onion out, being careful not to break the outside three rings. These will serve as bowls for meatball mixture. Reserve the middles for garnish.
3. Form 10 oz. balls of meat mixture and stuff into the onion bowls.
4. Bake on sheet pan at 375F for 45 minutes until internal temperature of 160F is reached. Keep warm for assembly.
5. To prepare the Tomato Chipotle Sauce, bring tomato juice to simmer in medium saucepan. Add paprika and TABASCOChipotle Pepper Sauce. Simmer 4 minutes, stirring constantly.
6. Mix cornstarch with beef broth until dissolved; then slowly pour the mix into the simmering seasoned tomato juice while stirring. Let simmer 4 minutes and keep warm for assembly.
7. For the Saffron Curry Cream Sauce, combine heavy cream, saffron and curry powder in medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, about 10 minutes. Stir occasionally until reduced by 1/4, thick enough to nicely coat
back of spoon. Keep warm for assembly.
8. To prepare the Carrot Puree, in a large saucepan, boil carrots in water until tender, approximately 10 minutes.
9. Pour carrots and water into food processor in 3 batches and puree until smooth. Combine the three batches and keep warm for assembly.
10. For final presentation, spoon 2 oz. of Carrot Puree into a 5 circle at 12 o'clock on each plate. Place 1 cooked Meatball in Onion Bowl on Carrot Puree bed. Ladle 1 oz. Saffron Curry Cream Sauce in semi-circle outside Carrot Puree. Next, ladle 2 oz. Tomato Chipotle Sauce outside of the Saffron Curry
Cream Sauce. Starting at the Carrot Puree, drag a toothpick through all sauces, towards outside of plate, randomly and at different lengths, to form tendrils of flame. Garnish with curly green onions and floured, crispy fried onions from the reserved middles of onions.