Try out this classic yet elegantly simple and easy-to-make pasta dish, featuring pancetta from Margherita and Smithfield Culinary. Your customers will love you for it!
Sponsored by Smithfield Margherita
- Margherita Pancetta
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1¼ c. Parmesan cheese, finely grated,
plus more for serving
- 2 oz. salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lb. spaghetti or linguine
- Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a skillet, add pancetta and ½ c. water and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until crisp. Strain, reserving 1 tsp. of fat in the pan. Return the pan to the heat and sauté the garlic until fragrant.
- In a medium mixing bowl, add the pancetta fat and garlic. Add the eggs, egg yolk, Parmesan and pepper to the garlic mixture and whisk.
- Boil water in a Dutch oven. Add spaghetti and salt to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Drain the pasta with a colander into a bowl and measure out 1 c. hot pasta water.
- Slowly pour and whisk ½ c. pasta water into the egg mixture, then slowly pour the mixture over the pasta, tossing to coat. Add the pancetta and toss to combine. Season to taste.
- Let the pasta rest, tossing frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes, until the sauce has thickened slightly and coats the pasta. Thin with the remaining ½ c. hot pasta water. Serve immediately, topped with additional Parmesan and parsley.