Every once in a while, it's illuminating and inspiring to those of us who write regularly about pizza to take a statistical joyride on the highway of pizza popularity.
With the help of Angelo Prospero, a blogger with thedailynewsonline.com, that's exactly what we're doing here. Prospero, an ex fighter, says the reigning champ and No. 1 food in the U.S. is still pizza, you are correct. In fact, ha adds it's also the No. 1-selling frozen food in America as well..
Yes, the U.S. has a love affair with pizza. Here are a few facts to show the enormity of this statement.
1. Pizza is a $30 billion industry in the U.S.
2. Pizzerias represent 17 percent of all restaurants. There are about 61,269 pizzerias in the U.S.
3. On average, each person in the U.S. eats 25 pounds of pizza each year, or about 46 slices. This amounts to 100 acres of pizza each day or about 350 slices per second.
4. Ninety-four percent of all Americans eat pizza regularly, and 36 percent consider breakfast pizzas the perfect breakfast (pictured here being eaten by PMQ's Brian Hernandez).
5. Domino’s is the world leader in delivery.