Gilroy, CA (December 2009)— The National Restaurant Association’s annual survey of more than 1,800 professional chefs reveals that local sourcing of ingredients and sustainability are the hottest trends projected to influence the restaurant industry in 2010, with locally grown produce topping a list of 214 culinary items. Owned and operated by the Christopher family, Christopher Ranch recognizes its agricultural heritage and responsibilities with deep appreciation for the land and an eye to the future.
Over five decades of farming in California’s Santa Clara Valley, Christopher Ranch has established and maintained measures that ensure sustainable practices in the field and on the line for its Heirloom Garlic and other products. With many green systems in place and more in progress, Christopher Ranch is proud of its California roots and its eco-friendly farming practices:
• Cultivating premium quality California Heirloom Garlic for over fifty years.
• Utilizing drip irrigation to save millions of gallons of water every year and significantly reduce fertilizer usage.
• Introducing 100% recyclable, flexible packaging that reduces source materials by 80% compared to the industry’s standard jar.
• Reducing reliance on petroleum-based materials, eliminated white cardboard, and phased out laminates. Dedicated to using recyclable and biodegradable materials.
Page 2—Local and Sustainable are 50-year Traditions at Christopher Ranch
• Controlling energy consumption with centralized operations to reduce traffic flow. Practicing preventative maintenance to optimize equipment efficiency.
• Appling stringent field rotation to prevent over-farming, soil depletion and overuse of resources.
To learn more about Christopher Ranch and to learn why “All garlic is not created equal”™, visit www.christopherranch.com. Christopher Ranch looks forward to the next 50 years of farming, and to protecting the earth and preserving the environment for generations to come.
About Christopher Ranch LLC
As the nation’s largest domestic garlic grower/packer, Christopher Ranch has a 50-year tradition of supplying the finest garlic products to retail and foodservice customers, shipping over 60 million pounds each year. Christopher Ranch produces the only commercially grown heirloom garlic in the United States.