Home Style Pizza Crust
Recipe Source:Chef Submissions
Submitted By:Tom Lehmann, The Dough Doctor
- 3 c. unsifted Pillsbury Bread Flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 T. Sugar
- 1 pkg. Yeast (active dry)
- 1 c. Water (warm/100F)
- 2 T. olive oil
1. Suspend yeast in the water, add a pinch of sugar and stir well. Set aside to activate for 10 minutes.
2. Place flour, salt, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Stir the yeast suspension and add to the ingredients in the mixing bowl.
3. Using a wooden spoon stir the mixture for 1 minute. Add the oil and continue mixing (stirring) until the dough becomes too thick to stir with the wooden spoon. (Generally 2 to 4 minutes).
4. Cover the bowl with foil, waxed paper, or damp towel and set aside to
Ferment for 1 to 2 hours. Punch the dough down as necessary to keep it in the bowl.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured bench or counter top, knead the dough by hand for about 2 minutes, oil the mixing bowl, and place the dough back into the bowl for 15 to 30 minutes.
6. Turn the dough out again onto a lightly floured bench or counter top, using a knife or bench scraper, divide the dough into 3 equal pieces.
7. Lightly flour each dough piece, and roll out thin. Makes a 10-11 each diameter crust. If the dough tends to shrink back after rolling, set it aside for 10 minutes on a floured surface, and roll or stretch it by hand to fit a 10 to 11 inch pizza pan or stone.
8. Brush the edge of the crust with oil (olive), apply your favorite sauce, cheese, and other toppings, place the pan into the oven; or transfer the pizza using a pizza peel to the preheated pizza stone, and bake in a hot oven (center shelf) until the crust and cheese are lightly to golden brown in color.