How to Become a Popular Pizzeria
Six common factors that all of America's most popular pizzerias share.
At PMQ, we sometimes sit around and discuss what makes some pizzerias more popular than others. While historic significance certainly brings in a crowd, there are plenty of new pizzerias that do just as well at drawing people in and bringing them back.
So what's the magic formula that results in some pizzerias ending up on "Best Pizza" and "Top Pizzeria" lists, while others struggle to bring in customers? And is it something that you can replicate in your own pizzeria?
If we look at some of the common denominators found at popular pizzerias, we find the following:
- They often offer nontraditional and creative toppings
- They offer super-fresh ingredients
- They almost always have a fun vibe
- They often create ingredients in-house (house-cured bacon, homemade sausage, hand-pulled mozzarella, etc.)
- They try to offer something unique (coal-fired oven, pizza happy hours, beer/wine/pizza pairings, etc.)
- They strive for authenticity, through Neapolitan methods, antique ovens and special ingredients
So out of the list above, is there anything that you can take inspiration from and incorporate into your pizzeria? Maybe you want to experiment with more inventive toppings or try your hand at making your own mozzarella. Introduce a beer and pizza pairing night or a special pizza brunch on Sundays.
The bottom line is, becoming "popular" is about standing out, not fitting in; creativity goes a long way in the eyes of your customers.
Let us know how you stand out!